Sunday, January 23, 2011

well, that wasn't fun

As usual, my hospital stays are adventures. Kristen took this of me while I as having some strange side effects.

I was in the hospital a week. I went in due to a 102+ fever and sever pain. I wasn't terribly worried about the fever but I have never experienced the pain like that. After a gazillion tests they finally determined I had a bacterial infection in my liver from side effect of the recent chemoembolization. They theorized dead tumor liquified, had no where to go, and infected. SO after a lot of antibiotics my fever broke an only the pain was left. I spent one day solely immovable. Thank God the pain broke the next day and I could suddenly get up. I am still sore and get an occasional cramp but wow, I feel sooooo much better.

I got home late Friday and Nathan and Anna arrive. That was a super med. We spent the weekend messing around, seeing Jonah, chasing bald eagles, eating, etc. I have 5 pounds to gain back. : )

I am gonna take a few days off to rest and stabilize. Oddly, my balance has abandoned me so I'm having to walk like an old man....taking it way slow. Once I feel stronger we'll see what 'next' is. I imagine we'll drive up all the ct scans and records to my oncologist in Chicago and go from there. I want to know what caused this as well as see if the chemoembolization had any effect on those original tumors.

Thanks everyone for your prayers and support. Thanks Trish and Mark for visiting. Mom, for your calls. I was not in a good mood so thanks for understanding.

BTW, Karen remains my hero. Between harassing the medical team for information and keeping me up and moving and staying positive, and dealing with her own fears, etc. she simply cares for me well, with love. I couldn't make it without her. I love her so much. And she an amazing grammy. Jonah smiles at her constantly.

Just a bit about the hospital--why I was stressing. Not a good sign when you tell the food service guy you are on a diabetic diet and he turns around and serve pancakes with whipped cream and syrup on them. Not a good sign when your doc tells you he needs to go read about chemoembolization. Or you have to argue with your nurse to explain that even though the computer says enzymes are to be administered at 10:00, it's now breakfast and I need them now (I can't eat without them). But no...gotta keep a schedule. Frustrating when the morning of being released a nurse asked me why I couldn't eat. I said I wasn't aware of that--had no idea. Randomly another nurse said, "Oh, he is having a stent put in this morning and can't eat." I sort of lost it then...I don't need no stinking stent. Bring me some food. Something with even more sugar on it.

Ugh. I am so happy to be home.




3 comments:

Trish said...

OH Steve-next time go to St. John's or Mo Bap! Moral of the story-you do not want to be a patient at a teaching hospital-case in point Steve post of whipple experience and now this! And if by chance you are a patient in one you do have the ability to sign a statement requesting your care is provided by the attending only! So sorry you had to experience the state of health care today!

Mom said...

How awful it must have been, to be so sick and have people like that caring for you. I often wonder what people do who don't have anyone to look out for them when they are unable to speak for themselves.

That is quite a handsome picture!!! The Thompson head looks small in that picture.

scott said...

Glad you are better!