Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Scans and stuff...an update

I had my 3 month invasion yesterday. After drinking 2 bottles of barium, having a nurse bleed me like a stuck pig (seriously--lost an ounce trying to get an IV in me) then waiting on pins and needles for 2 hours, Karen and I got word that the scans showed the ablation killed the liver tumor AND that no new tumors have shown up. WHEW! I have another 3 month stay...

Only bad news is my half a pancreas has decided to skimp on the insulin supply so I am going in tomorrow to learn how to shoot up. I will have to take insulin on an as need basis--spot treatment. My sugars have been hitting the upper 200's lately and anything above 275 makes me feel like I'd rather be eating mom's mystery dish than... Ugh. I dread the thought of being diabetic but I suppose it's a small price to pay to continue walking upright.

Karen and I go in tomorrow morning for insulin education. Nice way of saying "how to stick yourself with a needle."

So, next scan is in December--another octreotide full body deal over 2 days. I am hoping my Christmas present this year will be another 3 month reprieve.

BTW--the nurse admitting me said I looked like Brad Pitt. : )

4 comments:

Phyllis said...

YOU SO look like Brad Pitt. Seriously...when I saw him interviewed a few weeks ago, it was like watching you Steve.

So glad to hear about the good scan, but it makes me sad you have to shoot yourself. I can't even watch someone else give me a shot. I always tell them to not let me see the needle and I close my eyes AND look the other way. You are so brave!

Matt Johnson said...

Good news. Glad to hear it.

Betty said...

I emailed you but I will say again, we are all so happy for the good report. Another answer to prayer!

Daniel said...

This is amazing news!