Friday, March 20, 2009

Cholesterol

I recently found out that my cholesterol was through the roof. I excersise daily and eat pretty good most of the time. But I felt that something was wrong with my body so I decided to go have some blood work done to find out what was wrong. What I found out scared me. My cholesterol was at 330 and my tryglicerides were at 187. I was a snickers away from having a heart attack. The doc told me that it has to be genetics so now I am on a whole sleu of medications to get it under control. Does high cholesterol run in the Thompson family? 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have it.

Stephen said...

Chris. I had it too. After 6 months on oatmeal, cutting out chips, etc. it was fine. Easily manageable if you start making some simple food changes. And exercise. And no pork chops.

Daniel said...

I have apocalyptic gas. Does that count?

Anonymous said...

Christopher,

My cholesterol was good when it was checked recently. I eat a lot of nuts, especially almonds, and not much beef or fried food. Grandpa doesn't have much of a problem either. He eats a lot of oatmeal too, with oat bran in it.

Anonymous said...

Grandma Thompson died of a heart attack.
I think Grandma Waldron had a heart attack and a stroke.
Christopher has paternal relatives that died young from heart attacks.

Anonymous said...

Grandma is going to have to start sending you her boiled cookies so you can get your oatmeal in....

Richard said...

Chris, you should start taking a fish oil/omega 3 fatty acid supplement. I started taking it about 2 months ago. It is supposed to lower cholesterol, prevent sudden heart failure, prevent coronary heart disease and improve brain function. If that doesn't work, you can always roundhouse kick your cholesterol in the face.

Daniel, I too have apocalyptic gas...you know of any good remedies? The plants in my house are dying at an alarming rate.

Matt Johnson said...

Does eating oatmeal with a ton of butter, sugar and raisins help?