Thursday, February 4, 2010

2 years ago today...exactly now...

I learned I had a mass on my pancreas. I'd enjoyed some good bbq ribs Super Bowl night, the 3rd. Went to bed fine--woke up at 2 a.m. in writhing pain--my stomach was hard as a rock and I was cramping like crazy. Karen and I thought it was gas (yes, Thompson men gas). It finally calmed and I went back to bed. 2 hours later...same attack. Then another at 6. We went to an urgent care facility. They did x-rays and took blood, urine sample, etc. The doc told us it was likely a gallstone issue so we were told to wait in the room for further direction. That's when it got 'interesting'. Through the thin wall of the exam room we heard the doc on the phone with her superior. Something like this; "Well the X-ray shows a floating wobbly balloon like shape...and his urine is the color of coke...I have no idea...long pause...okay, I will send him to the hospital." From there we went to mercy Hospital and I had an ultrasound. After that they said I needed a CT. While waiting, I was called to a phone where the original doc told me I had a mass on my pancreas. Wow...I'll never forget those words. We went home and by nightfall I was back at the ER with sever pain. The attending became furious when she saw my blood results--said I should've been hospitalized immediately. So I finally was.

From there, well...the rest is history.

I think the hardest part (besides the pain) was in that in-between time at home when I looked up 'the pancreas'. Who knew. And then, pancreatic cancer. Woa...every search result led me to the same stats: 95% of PC victims die within 5 years. Talk about stunning and sobering. I went into a slow motion sort of mind-frame and kept hoping to wake up from a bad nightmare.

Eventually a doc told me I would be lucky to live another two years. Even luckier to make it 5. So I guess that means today, 2 years later, is my lucky day. : )

I wouldn't be here without all your support. Those days after the surgery were dark. And it's been a tough 2 years...but great ones nonetheless. I am blessed. Thanks. I love you all.

5 comments:

karen Thompson said...

Yes, it was a nightmare the worst i have ever had in my life the day the doc coming in after your endoscopy and told me you had pancreatic cancer. I about fainted. I thank God everyday your in my life and I've learned to appreciate the beauty in life with you. You are my hero and I love you too much.

Mom said...

Dad and I will never forget the day we got the call. The thought of another one of our children having cancer was almost unbearable. What would we have done without God? I thank Him over and over for you Steve and for Trish.

phyllis said...

Steve, I love you.

I have always been VERY proud of you...always loved being your oldest sister...always so proud of your family and your art career.
But coming to see you in Chicago in the hospital gave me total admiration for your vulnerability and your quiet strength. You are an amazing man.
I am so happy to celebrate today...your two year lap! How about when you hit the five year lap, we splurge and go on a road trip looking at Presidents graves, Presidential birthplaces and mountains. We'll make a CD of our pictures and compare it to the one Mom gave us for Christmas!

HUGS!

scott said...

A miracle indeed. When I tell people about this they are amazed.

Daniel said...

This makes me happy.