Friday, February 19, 2010

Where all the Thompson humor comes from : )


So, this is my dad. And the man responsible for twisting my sense of humor. Why I laugh out loud at the 3 stooges, Barney Fife, The Office, and a lot of commercials Karen thinks are stupid. Why I think the dogs farting is the funniest thing on earth. And why I love pranking my kids.

For those who don't know, Dad was famous for running through the house early in the morning shouting, "The indians are coming!" Maybe why I paint indians? Or asking me if I feel any more like I do now than I did a little while ago. Always teasing me about marrying Big Bertha (and then I end up sitting next to her in graduation--he still laughs about that). He couldn't resist calling me at the church and telling me to hold the phone out so he could blow out the line--and then laughing so loud I had to bring the phone back to my ear and admit I was 'had'. He loved to take his teeth out and laugh at the reaction.

He's also the dad that got me drawing by sitting me on his lap and drawing me cartoons. The man who jumped a fence in a single bound when I dislocated my shoulder playing baseball. Took me to just about every state in the union. Taught me to love campers (but not home-made ones). Helped my buy my first car--that Chevy Chevette for $4,000.00. And taught me about the importance of integrity, and not saying words like 'varmint, farting, etc. : )

Sure, he's human and has a few quirks--like eating made up concoctions, reading 8 books a day, wanting to go home as soon as he got there, getting mad once in a while, and telling me the same jokes every time I see him...but hey, that's what makes him special. And me love him.

Thanks Dad. My kids have you to thank for the Thompson Zoo's dysfunctional humor.

I love you.

2 comments:

Mom said...

What you wrote about Dad is so good. Made him feel good. It's neat that you remembered all those things.

Daniel said...

This is great. The "indians are coming" part made me laugh out loud.