Friday, June 27, 2008

Dating Lois Lane

Somebody once said that the secret to complimenting women is this: beautiful women want to be told they're smart, smart women want to be told they're beautiful. Simple enough. The conundrum for me, if you could call it that, is that my baby has got the beauty and the brains happening in equal measure. And I don't know which is more attractive.

Lately, I've had the pleasure of watching her take on a new position as a reporter for a local newspaper conglomorate, covering the beat of an entire city all by herself and just nailing the job. It makes me proud on all kinds of levels; I get to see her honesty, her drive, her curiosity and her high personal standards at work on a daily basis. It's like dating Lois Lane, though that in no way is meant to imply I'm Superman (although I just had my vision tested and I'm freakishly between 20/15 and 20/10. The nurse looked half-scared when I nailed the smallest lines on their eye chart and said, "That's, like, x-ray vision or something!")

Last week it was cool to be behind the scenes as Kirsten scrambled to cover the breaking story of a 1979 robbery murder case which had gone cold that was reopened and solved by an industrious local detective.

Daniel

These are the guys who are alleged to have held up a grocery store and, when the manager was unable to open the safe, shot him to death and left. Looking at their scary mugshots, the most baffling part for me is how after 29 years, in which they lost contact with each other, they both happened to be showering when they were arrested.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My comment about this entry came up under the new wedding pictures.
I loved this entry!!!!!

Anonymous said...

"When I say I'm in love, you best believe I'm in love, luv" New York Dolls, 1975 from personality crisis.
So you scored with Kirsten, now can we call her something that we can get right like "K" or something. I always have to check myself so I say it right and not Kristen...there's a Keer sound it that's hard for me to get.

Kirsten said...

You guys are a little too complimentary. Clearly you don't know me very well. I've fooled you all with my cooking, my craftiness and my alleged love for children...

Scott, you can call me "hey, you" if you like, or adopt one of my existing nicknames: Roy, Taco, Buyza Minelli..... yeah, maybe you better come up with a new one...

Anonymous said...

Well, so far the Johnson boys have found girls way too good for us. Mary, Jessica and Kirsten...can't do better than that.