Monday, June 23, 2008

Trish Breaks it Down

This update came to me last week and got lost in the shuffle. Never again Aunt Trish! I have drawn attention to various parts of the e-mail with bracketed comments as I've seen fit. Because I can.

Trish writes:

How are you? We all just celebrated Father’s Day here – all the kids came in with their significant others – we just BBQd and hung out.

Sarah has graduated and is staying in Springfield to be near her friend Jason. Jason is a very nice young man – good to Sarah and she is happy – I just wish she was going to finish her dietetics program – she has to have a masters to practice dietetics. Looked for a while at Arkansas and Colorado as options to do her internship. [Aunt Trish, easy with the em dashes. Periods are classic. They never go out of style.]

RS just took his CFA exam – hoping he passes as it will mean more career choices and better income [Why do I have a sinking feeling that my laid-back cousin Richard is going to be the next Donald Trump, only richer and funny?] – he is working through the process of starting school in the fall for his masters in finance – living with his friend from college in a duplex his friend Chris purchased just bought his first new car – swears to be a bachelor until he is at least 50 y/o or has a million dollars – whichever comes first. [I would pay good money to get video of this bachelor Valhalla] Still working for Scott Trade – lives for golf and baseball – flying to Boston this weekend for a game.

Ryan – lives in the city – still working as a waiter and waiting to hear if he got accepted into his masters program in psychology – lives a very bohemian lifestyle – also works part-time for a local health care system answering calls from patients in psychological crisis – does an intake assessment determining what next steps should take place – he has had his car tags stolen so many times he finally just took the plates off and put them in his window - he doesn’t seem afraid where he lives – but always glad to hear his voice when he calls. [Trish, what Ryan is doing here is called Keeping It Real. It's all the rage.]

Kristen is a Sr at DePaul in Chicago – just moved in with her friend Chris, a waiter also – they are very socially conscious – would love to work the peace corps – loves to read. [I can't believe that Kristen was living down the street from my girlfriend when she lived in Chicago, and we never met up. This short description of Trish's just underscores what a waste that was.]

The conversation is never boring at our table. [Of course not. Your sentences run together in a never-ending bonanza of em dashes. Okay, that's my last em dash joke.]

All of them are broke [Word!] – life costs too much today – if they would I would let them all come home and live and stash some cash – instead I have taken a full-time job and am happy to help out when I can.

Mark works harder than ever – day and night – so do I though. His company was acquired by an Asian firm [Trish, I believe the politically correct term is no longer "Asian," but "Little People of the Orient"...] – job security is shaky. I think we would both like it if he got fired so he could take some time off and rest.

Love them all to death!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...after what you did to Trish's written account...who do you actually think will sit down and risk writing?

Trish....you can em dash or whatever he calls it as much as you want. Daniel doesn't get enough protien...

Daniel said...

This blog is about family. And about laughing at family, even when they don't want it. I thought you knew that. Have you SEEN the treatment I've been giving grandma?