Thursday, August 7, 2008

Daddy's Getting Published

So, this isn't THAT big of a deal. It's more cool than anything. One of my favorite bands of all time is this group from England called Swervedriver. They're broken up now and there is hardly any press or in-depth literature on the making of their records, records which I have obsessed over. So I came up with an idea a few years ago to do an interview with their leader, and just ask him all the things I had wanted to know, and then publish it as an article (genius, right?). I pitched it to this recording magazine called Tape Op, also a big favorite of mine, and they said yes. Well, after conducting the interview in July of 2006, and submitting it in January of 2007, it's finally come out. And it looks great. I had a photographer friend of mine who lives in New York shoot the guy I interviewed and he did an amazing job. I'm really proud of this, and not just because I've got an article in a magazine, but because I've done a huge service to all the other fans of the band.

Check this out. It's a message board of people who are fans of the band. Remember, the group dissolved in 1998, so there are still people 10 years later finding things to talk about. These people are STARVED for new info, and I just dropped a huge juicy steak on their plate. If you look at the boards, you'll see some really nice things people are saying about the piece, as well as a scan of the article itself.

Click here for the message boards.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me clarify. Daniel interviews famous bands, then gets the interview published. People love the bands, buy the mags/visit the web site to read the interview. Daniel becomes known as a good writer...Same as having a short story or review published. Great work on a little understood band.

Anonymous said...

Daniel is an amazing writer. I have had the honor of reading his writing from childhood on. I am so happy that other's are noticing. That's the good news. The bad news is he is proof-reading car part catalogs in a dingy room this week to provide for his family..... ups and downs of the creative life.

Chris Johnson said...

Swervedriver...hehehe.....whats next, Jawbox? Maybe Fugazi? Do an interview with Fragile Porcelain Mice, and maybe then I will give you some props.....jk...good job Dan.

Anonymous said...

Daniel,

I don't know much about the bands but I think you have a great gift for writing.

Grandma