Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cole Endorses his Grandmother's Singing

The backstory to this is that when Matthew was a kid, he was not a fan of his mother's singing, and would often ask her to stop, in a very serious manner. I think that life is being kind to her now, because Matthew's son has decided that, hey, her singing's not so bad after all.

Grandma Phyllis writes:

I was babysitting and we finally got Titus to sleep and Cole wanted me to read books to him. As you know three year olds like the same books read over and over.
He got some new books from the library and I was excited.
We read a few and then he handed me the one from the library. For whatever reason I thought it would be funny to sing the book to him. So I open it and start singing the words. Almost at once I could feel him sitting by me staring intently...I could see him in my perifial vision. It was all I could do to not laugh. I stole a glance at him and he was staring with his mouth hanging open. I was able to finish the book which I might add was not easy. Getting words to fit tunes on the spot is not my gift. But I made it.
He is still staring at me. I finish, I close the book and look at him and without so much as cracking a twinkle, he deadpan says, "Do it again."
So I did it again. He stared at me through the whole book. WHen I laid the book down at the end he just continued to stare at me. He said, "Do it again."
I pretended I just had to read the other new book __just to get his mind off it.
I think in my mind ___I think I am doing something funny for him.
I think in his mind he is thinking "SHE is nuts and I wonder how many times I can get her to do this."....
But an added funny was that when Matt and Mary got home, he got the book out and started to sing it. Then he wanted Mary to sing it to him.
He is just so funny.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so funny!!! I laughed and laughed. I could just see Cole looking at you Phyllis while you were singing. It would have been funny too if he had noticed the difference in the first time and the second time of singing the book.

I remember how you used to sing to the boys in that high opera way to get them to settle down.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Not so sure it was to settle them down....I think it was a distraction technique I mastered to stop the sibling rivalry. They would stop the pounding to stop the singing.... I have yet to see it recommended in a parenting book.

Desperate times call for desperate solutions. Sibling rivalry still causes me to break out in my opera solo "Ava Maria" occasionally, when I am reading the blog...

Kirsten said...

That is hilarious! I always think it's funny that the second Daniel starts singing or sits down at the piano, Claire needs something -- anything -- which requires him to stop.

Yet every night in bed she requests a song.

I was like the boys. It made me crazy when my mom would sing and she always seemed to be singing "too loud" in church, which embarrassed us.

Anonymous said...

Just a new "Froggy went a Courtin" or "Skin and Bones" Scenario! It is hereditary!

Love you,
TM