Thursday, October 9, 2008

Who Let The Dogs Out!

Stephen writes:

The Thompson Zoo is on the move again.

Well, sort of. Karen and I bought a second home in Edwardsville, Illinois, near Karen's sister. The purchase is part of a master plan to downsize, economize, and crystallize plans to move towards full-time starving artist. We always thought we'd do this out west but the illness sort of prompted us to adopt a step-by-step transition strategy. So we are moving Kristen down to live in the house while we ready ours here for sale. In the meantime, however long that is, we will continue enjoying the home as a quaint getaway. I love going to Edwardsville and spending time downtown in the old coffee shops and restaurants. And Karen is having a blast decorating the 90 year old home.



Once the home here is sold I will move into an apartment near Chicago and work between the office and Edwardsville. I am fortunate in that much of my work and travel can be done from anywhere so it's a nice in-between solution. Eventually, after Nathan is finished with school, and I am done paying for it, I will approach the company about a lesser and remote position. If they say no I will just start my artist days sooner than expected.

Now--the obvious question is, and has been, "Are you doing this as part of a worst case scenario?" And the obvious answer is, "Yes! But also for best case scenario..." I've always gone by the rule of 'hope for the best and plan for the worst' so it's as pragmatic as it is aspirational. Believe me, I plan on being around a long while and becoming a successful fine artist, but if the cancer returns I certainly see it as a smart move in making sure Karen is taken care of, near her family, etc.

Beyond that, small town living is something we've always wanted and now is the time to get on with living our dream. We love old homes, family communities, and a slower pace of life. We might as well stop talking about it and start living it.

So we'll soon be living in what Karen calls a barn house and owning about half of what we have now. (It's been quite liberating to part with junk we've collected over the years and it feels good to be taking action on 'next'.) We'll be living a much simpler life. And if I can sell a few paintings it will be that much better.

Pic of the house attached. It's a cute cottage style house with original horse hair plaster, Auntie-style old basement, creaky stairs, and a claw foot tub. It just feels like home. Our home.

So, who's moving down next near Trish?

Stephen

9 comments:

Daniel said...

This is fascinating. I'm really happy for you guys and this sounds amazing. I can't wait to visit the new crib.

This has been a huge year for you guys...

Anonymous said...

Where exactly is Edwardsville?

I do love Lancaster because of the same reasons you describe about Edwardsville. I can walk to our library...school is out all week because of the county fair....I can walk to work and church...the parks are beautiful....wonderful, old brick churches...a Heritage section of town that makes you want to stare....

I would love to live close to my sister though....

Steve...I am so happy for you and Karen. What planning...what ability to process a dream and go for it...what a team you two are!

Stephen said...

Phyllis--exactly where Edwardsville is from your house...

http://maps.google.com/maps?daddr=141+Columbia+Ave,+Edwardsville,+IL+62025&geocode=&dirflg=&saddr=417+Oakwood+Avenue,+Lancaster,+Ohio,+43130&f=d&sll=38.815185,-89.950604&sspn=0.007758,0.013819&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=6

Daniel said...

That's much too direct a path for my mom's taste. She would probably want to take a more "scenic" route that would get swing through Pennsylvania and Florida on the way.

Anonymous said...

Steve, that's a good move. Material things are the meaningless proposition. Too bad it took me this long to figure that out. I am happy for you guys.

Matt Johnson said...

You're so right Uncle Scott. I'll take your motorcycles off of your hands.

Anonymous said...

In case you are wondering if I am going to leave a comment, well I will. I am happy that Steve is going to get to be "the starving artist" that he has wanted to be. He has been an artist since a tiny little guy so it's time. And, I have known about this move for a while. Emails are wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I decided to start making comments on the blog. Steve, I love your new home! It's beautiful. I'm so glad things are going well for you and I look forward to seeing you and your family soon.

Matt, as far as taking Scott's motorcycles off his hands, I hope you plan to sell them and give the money to the poor. We have no more room for motorcycles in our back yard.

Anonymous said...

Mom wants it established that she is "in the loop"! Mom...you have it from me...we didn't know until it was published on the blog. You have good "mom status".

YOu know...it is really going to be quiet Thanksgiving. None of us will have to catch up on each other's lives. We can just sit around and read magazines...and let Daniel and Kirsten cook.